Agenda and minutes

Planning Sub Committee
Monday, 4th October, 2021 7.00 pm

Venue: Tottenham Green Leisure Centre, 1 Philip Lane, Tottenham N15 4JA

Contact: Felicity Foley, Committees Manager  Email:

Note: To watch this meeting, use the link on the agenda frontsheet 

No. Item



Please note this meeting may be filmed or recorded by the Council for live or subsequent broadcast via the Council’s internet site or by anyone attending the meeting using any communication method.  Although we ask members of the public recording, filming or reporting on the meeting not to include the public seating areas, members of the public attending the meeting should be aware that we cannot guarantee that they will not be filmed or recorded by others attending the meeting.  Members of the public participating in the meeting (e.g. making deputations, asking questions, making oral protests) should be aware that they are likely to be filmed, recorded or reported on.  By entering the meeting room and using the public seating area, you are consenting to being filmed and to the possible use of those images and sound recordings.


The Chair of the meeting has the discretion to terminate or suspend filming or recording, if in his or her opinion continuation of the filming, recording or reporting would disrupt or prejudice the proceedings, infringe the rights of any individual, or may lead to the breach of a legal obligation by the Council.


The Chair referred to the notice of filming at meetings and this information was noted.



The Planning Committee abides by the Council’s Planning Protocol 2017.  A factsheet covering some of the key points within the protocol as well as some of the context for Haringey’s planning process is provided alongside the agenda pack available to the public at each meeting as well as on the Haringey Planning Committee webpage.


The planning system manages the use and development of land and buildings.  The overall aim of the system is to ensure a balance between enabling development to take place and conserving and protecting the environment and local amenities.  Planning can also help tackle climate change and overall seeks to create better public places for people to live, work and play.  It is important that the public understand that the committee makes planning decisions in this context.  These decisions are rarely simple and often involve balancing competing priorities.  Councillors and officers have a duty to ensure that the public are consulted, involved and where possible, understand the decisions being made.


Neither the number of objectors or supporters nor the extent of their opposition or support are of themselves material planning considerations.


The Planning Committee is held as a meeting in public and not a public meeting.  The right to speak from the floor is agreed beforehand in consultation with officers and the Chair.  Any interruptions from the public may mean that the Chamber needs to be cleared.


The Chair referred to the planning protocol and this information was noted.



To receive any apologies for absence.


Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Sheila Peacock (Vice-Chair), Councillor Gina Adamou, Councillor Yvonne Say, and Councillor Viv Ross. Apologies for lateness were received from Councillor Emine Ibrahim.



The Chair will consider the admission of any late items of urgent business. Late items will be considered under the agenda item where they appear. New items will be dealt with at item 11 below.


There were no items of urgent business.



A member with a disclosable pecuniary interest or a prejudicial interest in a matter who attends a meeting of the authority at which the matter is considered:


(i) must disclose the interest at the start of the meeting or when the interest becomes apparent, and

(ii) may not participate in any discussion or vote on the matter and must withdraw from the meeting room.


A member who discloses at a meeting a disclosable pecuniary interest which is not registered in the Register of Members’ Interests or the subject of a pending notification must notify the Monitoring Officer of the interest within 28 days of the disclosure.


Disclosable pecuniary interests, personal interests and prejudicial interests are defined at Paragraphs 5-7 and Appendix A of the Members’ Code of Conduct


There were no declarations of interest.


MINUTES pdf icon PDF 179 KB

To confirm and sign the minutes of the Planning Sub Committee held on 14 September 2021 as a correct record.




That the minutes of the Planning Sub-Committee held on 14 September 2021 be confirmed and signed as a correct record.


Councillor Rice noted that he had not received a paper copy of the agenda. The Principal Committee Co-ordinator confirmed that a copy had been dispatched in the post and apologised that it had not arrived.



The following items are pre-application presentations to the Planning Sub-Committee and discussion of proposals.


Notwithstanding that this is a formal meeting of the Sub-Committee, no decision will be taken on the following items and any subsequent applications will be the subject of a report to a future meeting of the Sub-Committee in accordance with standard procedures.


The provisions of the Localism Act 2011 specifically provide that a Councillor should not be regarded as having a closed mind simply because they previously did or said something that, directly or indirectly, indicated what view they might take in relation to any particular matter.  Pre-application briefings provide the opportunity for Members to raise queries and identify any concerns about proposals.


The Members’ Code of Conduct and the Planning Protocol 2016 continue to apply for pre-application meeting proposals even though Members will not be exercising the statutory function of determining an application.  Members should nevertheless ensure that they are not seen to pre-determine or close their mind to any such proposal otherwise they will be precluded from participating in determining the application or leave any decision in which they have subsequently participated open to challenge.


The Chair referred to the note on pre-application briefings and this information was noted.



Proposal: Demolition of the existing 36 temporary accommodation homes on site and redevelopment of Brunel Walk and some of the space between the Council buildings of Turner Avenue to create 44 additional new homes for Council rent.

Additional documents:


The Committee considered the pre-application briefing for the demolition of the existing 36 temporary accommodation homes on site and redevelopment of Brunel Walk and some of the space between the Council buildings of Turner Avenue to create 44 additional new homes for Council rent.


The applicant team and officers responded to questions from the Committee:

·         The Committee welcomed the mix of unit sizes that were proposed.

·         In relation to parking, it was clarified that no parking spaces would be lost in the estate and that there would be two additional spaces in the Turner Avenue Estate area. Some members noted that the proposals included a number of family sized units and that this was likely to result in additional cars and stress on parking.

·         It was noted that the Quality Review Panel (QRP) and the application report discussed the permeability of the site. Some members enquired whether the permeability of the site would be increased and cautioned that increasing the permeability of the site for vehicles could create some safety issues. The applicant team noted that the site was an alleyway at present with a number of avenues that were used as cut through routes. It was explained that the proposals would aim to reduce permeability of the site by defining public and private space more clearly with landscaping and boundary treatments.

·         The Committee enquired about outlook and the proximity of balconies in Blocks B and C to the existing blocks, about the outlook from the mews houses, and about overlooking into the gable ends of existing blocks. The applicant team explained that the existing Turner Avenue Estate wings had outlook from the southern end and would look directly onto the new courtyards. It was noted that it had recently been confirmed that the units in the existing blocks were two bed units and that the applicant team would need to consider the position and treatment of the balconies in reference to the windows; it was added that consultation responses were also being considered.

·         The Chair commented that there was a sketch which showed projecting balconies and that she would be opposed to having those, especially at the lower levels. She explained that these would not be very private and that people would likely cover up the transparent elements. It was explained that the application sought to optimise the number and types of accommodation on site and that recessed balconies used potential accommodation area and had a significant impact on the thermal performance of the building. The applicant team believed that the projecting balconies worked as part of the design. It was noted that they were considering the treatment of the balustrade and that some screening or alternative positioning of balconies might be possible but this would need to be weighed against the need to deliver as much high quality accommodation as possible.

·         In response to a question from the Committee, the applicant team stated that some of the key challenges would be to integrate the development with the wider  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.



To advise of major proposals in the pipeline including those awaiting the issue of the decision notice following a committee resolution and subsequent signature of the section 106 agreement; applications submitted and awaiting determination; and proposals being discussed at the pre-application stage.


There were no queries on the report. The Chair noted that any queries could be directed to the Head of Development Management.




To note the report.



To advise the Planning Committee of decisions on planning applications taken under delegated powers for the period 6 September 2021 to 24 September 2021.


There were no queries on the report. The Chair noted that any queries could be directed to the Head of Development Management.




To note the report.



To consider any items admitted at item 4 above.


There were no items of urgent business.



To note the date of the next meeting as 1 November 2021.


It was noted that the date of the next meeting was 1 November 2021.