Agenda and minutes

Housing and Regeneration Scrutiny Panel
Thursday, 8th July, 2021 6.30 pm

Venue: 40 Cumberland Road, Wood Green, London N22 7SG (2nd floor, 1st Meeting Space)

Contact: Dominic O'Brien, Principal Scrutiny Officer, Email: dominic.obrien@haringey.gov.uk 

Note: This meeting is due to be live streamed. To watch the live stream, click the link on the agenda frontsheet or copy and paste the following link into your web browser: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_NzU3MjYxYTQtMjNkYy00YTI1LWFkMjMtOTYwZjk1MGIwZTNm%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%226ddfa760-8cd5-44a8-8e48-d8ca487731c3%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22d1dc05de-ecbd-4e6c-b7b3-3a52b6175baf%22%2c%22IsBroadcastMeeting%22%3atrue%7d&btype=a&role=a 

Items
No. Item

11.

FILMING AT MEETINGS

Please note that this meeting may be filmed or recorded by the Council for live or subsequent broadcast via the Council’s internet site or by anyone attending the meeting using any communication method. Although we ask members of the public recording, filming or reporting on the meeting not to include the public seating areas, members of the public attending the meeting should be aware that we cannot guarantee that they will not be filmed or recorded by others attending the meeting. Members of the public participating in the meeting (e.g. making deputations, asking questions, making oral protests) should be aware that they are likely to be filmed, recorded or reported on. 

 

By entering the meeting room and using the public seating area, you are consenting to being filmed and to the possible use of those images and sound recordings.

 

The chair of the meeting has the discretion to terminate or suspend filming or recording, if in his or her opinion continuation of the filming, recording or reporting would disrupt or prejudice the proceedings, infringe the rights of any individual or may lead to the breach of a legal obligation by the Council.

Minutes:

The Chair referred Members present to agenda Item 1 as shown on the agenda in respect of filming at this meeting, and Members noted the information contained therein’.

12.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Charles Adje and Cllr Dawn Barnes.

 

13.

Urgent Business

The Chair will consider the admission of any late items of urgent business (late items will be considered under the agenda item where they appear. New items will be dealt with as noted below).

Minutes:

None.

14.

Declarations of interest

A member with a disclosable pecuniary interest or a prejudicial interest in a matter who attends a meeting of the authority at which the matter is considered:

 

(i) must disclose the interest at the start of the meeting or when the interest becomes apparent, and

(ii) may not participate in any discussion or vote on the matter and must withdraw from the meeting room.

 

A member who discloses at a meeting a disclosable pecuniary interest which is not registered in the Register of Members’ Interests or the subject of a pending notification must notify the Monitoring Officer of the interest within 28 days of the disclosure.

 

Disclosable pecuniary interests, personal interests and prejudicial interests are defined at Paragraphs 5-7 and Appendix A of the Members’ Code of Conduct.

Minutes:

None.

15.

Deputations/Petitions/Presentations/Questions

To consider any requests received in accordance with Part 4, Section B, Paragraph 29 of the Council’s Constitution.

Minutes:

None.

 

16.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 245 KB

To approve the minutes of the previous meeting. 

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as an accurate record. It was noted that a spreadsheet containing the responses to action points from the meeting had been circulated to Panel Members. There was one action point still outstanding about a referral to the audit team which would be followed up. (ACTION)

 

AGREED: That the minutes of the meeting held on 2nd March 2021 be approved as an accurate record.

 

17.

Update reports pdf icon PDF 291 KB

To receive update reports on the following topics:

·         High Road West

·         Wards Corner

·         Broadwater Farm

·         Homes for Haringey Repairs Service

·         Local Plan

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Update reports on five different topics were introduced by Cllr Ruth Gordon, Cabinet Member for House Building, Place-Making and Development and Cllr John Bevan, Cabinet Member for Planning, Licensing and Housing Services.

 

High Road West

 

Cllr Hare asked about the businesses impacted by the High Road West redevelopment proposals, including those who were concerned that they would lose the freehold ownership of their land, and how they could be helped. Cllr Gordon emphasised that this was not a redevelopment scheme that she would have originally signed up to, as she had made clear during her previous role as Chair of the Housing & Regeneration Scrutiny Panel. She said that, while the Council was locked into the agreement with Lendlease, discussions with the businesses were ongoing and the Council would do what it could to help them. She also noted that the scheme would take some years to come to fruition and the work to the north of White Hart Lane, which included the Peacock Industrial Estate, would be part of the second phase of the scheme.

 

Asked by Cllr Hare whether it would be possible for the businesses to be offered ‘like for like’ alternative premises, Cllr Gordon said that this would be explored as part of ongoing discussions. She added that models of mixed-use sites which included industrial space was being explored in some parts of London.

 

Cllr Ibrahim said that there was a commitment to build 500 new Council homes on the High Road West site and noted that Cllr Gordon had previously expressed concerns about the terms of the acquisitions of these homes. Asked by Cllr Ibrahim whether that was still her view, Cllr Gordon reiterated that she had never been in favour of this redevelopment but that this was the deal that the Council was currently locked into. Her general position remained that if Councils can build their own homes on their own land, then this was the preferable option as acquisitions were typically a more expensive way of increasing housing stock. She would have preferred the Housing Delivery team at the Council to have been built up earlier in the Housing Delivery Programme for that reason. However, she added that if properties could be obtained at a reasonable price then this could be justified in some circumstances and, with the GLA funding package included as part of the overall scheme, these acquisitions would not be as expensive as they might otherwise have been.

 

Asked by Cllr Ibrahim whether she supported the deal as outlined in the report to the Panel, Cllr Gordon said that the key decisions, such as on the GLA funding package, had been agreed prior to her appointment to the Cabinet and that there were no fundamental changes from this in the report. Asked by Cllr Tucker whether she regarded the acquisitions in the scheme to represent value for money, Cllr Gordon said she did because it was deemed to have met value for money criteria. Cllr Tucker suggested that the argument  ...  view the full minutes text for item 17.

18.

Work Programme Update pdf icon PDF 377 KB

To discuss items for the work programme for the Panel for 2021/22.

Minutes:

Panel Members discussed possible items for future meetings to be added to the Work Programme.

 

Cllr Hearn proposed that the two Cabinet Members relevant to the Panel should provide reports on the actions that they were taking within their portfolio to contribute towards the Climate Change Action Plan

 

Cllr Tucker proposed that a report be brought to the Panel about the St Ann’s Hospital redevelopment site.

 

It was agreed that any other agenda items for future meetings and the terms of reference for the proposed scrutiny review on the future of housing management could be discussed outside of the meeting via email or separate informal meetings.

19.

Dates of Future Meetings

·         13th September 2021

·         4th November 2021

·         9th December 2021

·         28th February 2022

Minutes:

·         13th September 2021

·         4th November 2021

·         9th December 2021

·         28th February 2022