Venue: 40 Cumberland Road, Wood Green, London N22 7SG
Contact: Dominic O'Brien, Principal Scrutiny Officer, Email: email@example.com
Note: This meeting is due to be live streamed. To watch the live stream, click the link on the agenda frontsheet or copy and paste the following link into your web browser: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YmRkMjA3Y2YtMjRlZC00YzllLTg5NzYtZTM5YTdlODgyMGUy%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%226ddfa760-8cd5-44a8-8e48-d8ca487731c3%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22d1dc05de-ecbd-4e6c-b7b3-3a52b6175baf%22%2c%22IsBroadcastMeeting%22%3atrue%7d&btype=a&role=a
FILMING AT MEETINGS
Please note that this meeting may be filmed or recorded by the Council for live or subsequent broadcast via the Council’s internet site or by anyone attending the meeting using any communication method. Although we ask members of the public recording, filming or reporting on the meeting not to include the public seating areas, members of the public attending the meeting should be aware that we cannot guarantee that they will not be filmed or recorded by others attending the meeting. Members of the public participating in the meeting (e.g. making deputations, asking questions, making oral protests) should be aware that they are likely to be filmed, recorded or reported on.
By entering the meeting room and using the public seating area, you are consenting to being filmed and to the possible use of those images and sound recordings.
The chair of the meeting has the discretion to terminate or suspend filming or recording, if in his or her opinion continuation of the filming, recording or reporting would disrupt or prejudice the proceedings, infringe the rights of any individual or may lead to the breach of a legal obligation by the Council.
The Chair referred Members present to agenda Item 1 as shown on the agenda in respect of filming at this meeting, and Members noted the information contained therein’.
Apologies for absence
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Gideon Bull and Cllr Eldridge Culverwell who both had clashes with other meetings. Cllr Bull attended part of the meeting online.
Apologies were also received from Cllr Sheila Peacock who was not able to join the meeting in-person but did join the whole meeting online.
Items of Urgent Business
The Chair will consider the admission of any late items of urgent business (late items will be considered under the agenda item where they appear. New items will be dealt with as noted below).
Declarations of Interest
A Member with a disclosable pecuniary interest or a prejudicial interest in a matter who attends a meeting of the authority at which the matter is considered:
(i) must disclose the interest at the start of the meeting or when the interest
becomes apparent, and
(ii) may not participate in any discussion or vote on the matter and must withdraw from the meeting room.
A member who discloses at a meeting a disclosable pecuniary interest which is not registered in the Members’ Register of Interests or the subject of a pending notification must notify the Monitoring Officer of the interest within 28 days of the disclosure.
Disclosable pecuniary interests, personal interests and prejudicial interest are
defined at Paragraphs 5-7 and Appendix A of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
Cllr Pippa Connor declared an interest by virtue of her membership of the Royal College of Nursing.
Cllr Pippa Connor declared an interest by virtue of her sister working as a GP in Tottenham.
Cllr Nick da Costa declared an interest by virtue of his ownership of a company working with the NHS, medical providers and healthcare practitioners on a variety of projects, none of which, to his knowledge, work in Haringey Borough though they do work in surrounding areas and with service providers across London.
Cllr Mahir Demir and Cllr Gideon Bull both noted that they were employed by the NHS.
Deputations/Petitions/ Presentations/ Questions
To consider any requests received in accordance with Part 4, Section B, Paragraph 29 of the Council’s Constitution.
To approve the minutes of the previous meeting.
Following a query from Cllr da Costa, the scrutiny officer advised that there were a number of actions relating to further information required on the locality working item. It had been agreed with senior officers that the additional information would be presented to the Panel at a future meeting, which was most likely to be the meeting in November 2021.
The accuracy of the minutes of the previous meeting was agreed as an accurate record.
AGREED: That the minutes of the meeting held on 11th March 2021 be approved as an accurate record.
To provide an update on the most recent commissioning and quality assurance activity carried out in the care sector by the Council and on inspections in the care sector by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Margaret Lynes, Inspection Manager at the Care Quality Commission (London Region), provided an overview of inspection work in Haringey Borough. There were 81 registered locations in Haringey, 32 of which were residential homes and 49 of which were community-based services. The Covid-19 pandemic had caused a dramatic impact on the number of inspections that could be carried out and so any on-site visits were carried out in response to risk. The number of these that were necessary in Haringey was low compared to some other areas.
The general approach during the early stages of the pandemic was a supportive one with service providers being contacted to ascertain how they were managing and flagging any particular concerns such as a lack of PPE. An Emergency Support Framework (ESF) was introduced to enable the targeting of local advice, guidance and support to providers and care staff.
After the initial support phase, a Transitional Monitoring Approach (TMA) was introduced, enabling more inspections to take place but doing so remotely where possible and limiting the physical presence of inspectors at premises. This was a more detailed approach than the ESF with more data required from providers and more intelligence gathered in order to more accurately assess risk.
An Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) methodology was developed to enable targeted inspections of practices relating to infection prevention and control in care homes. This was used to identify both good practice which could be shared and providers where services required improvement and could be given additional support and guidance. Around 500-700 of these inspections were being carried out per month and the IPC methodology continued to be included as part of care home inspections.
Margaret Lynes then responded to questions from the Panel:
This item is to receive a verbal update on the Council’s response to the recommendations of the ‘Living Through Lockdown’ report.
The report was published in August 2020 by the Joint Partnership Board and is provided in full in this agenda pack.
Cllr Connor reminded the Panel that this item related to the report published in 2020 by the Joint Partnership Board (JPB) and that the Panel had previously backed the recommendations in the report and determined to monitor the Council’s response to them.
Helena Kania, a co-Chair of the JPB, said that the JPB was a group of reference groups which provided a forum which liaises with the Council over a wide range of issues. Representation on the JPB included representation from people groups including those who are carers, frail, autistic, with mental health problems or with learning disabilities.
Helena Kania said that she had recently liaised with Charlotte Pomery over this and had concluded that a lot of the recommendations related to long-term changes that would need to be embedded and monitored over a period of time. She estimated that by December it would be possible to see whether the changes were working and suggested that this be brought back to the Panel at around this point as a quick item. (ACTION) Charlotte Pomery added that she was keen to ensure that the report’s recommendations changed the culture and the way that the Council does things in a tangible way.
Cllr das Neves added that the report had been mentioned in several different contexts since her recent appointment to the Cabinet and featured heavily in the policy debate in various areas.
To receive a presentation from the Director of Public Health about the health impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the residents of Haringey.
Dr Will Maimaris, Director for Public Health, along with Jim Pomeroy and Eduardo Lopez Salas from the policy team, presented information about the broad impact on health and wellbeing caused by the pandemic in Haringey. Key points included:
Dr Will Maimaris, Jim Pomeroy and Eduardo Lopez Salas then responded to questions from the Panel: ... view the full minutes text for item 9.
To discuss items for the work programme for the Panel for 2021/22.
Connor updated the Panel on the Work Programme. Following
discussions with officers, the terms of reference for the proposed
scrutiny review on sheltered housing had been amended. Dominic
O’Brien, Scrutiny Officer, outlined the new terms of
reference which remained on broadly similar lines and focused on
three key areas:
o Residents experiencing mental health difficulties;
o Residents experiencing alcohol/drug misuse issues;
o Residents reporting problems with anti-social behaviour.
o Ensuring that residents know who to communicate with when they need to access help/support on a wide range of issues;
o Measures with a preventative approach to potential health and social care issues;
o Measures that promote aging well.
Dominic O’Brien informed the Panel that the next step would be to organise a meeting involved the Chair of the Adults & Health Scrutiny Panel, the Chair of the Housing & Regeneration Scrutiny Panel, officers from the Adults team and officers from Homes for Haringey to agree on the format for the evidence sessions and the information that the Scrutiny Panels would require.
Cllr Connor noted that a follow up report on the recommendations of the Panel’s previous scrutiny review on Day Opportunities was scheduled for the September 2021 meeting of the Panel.
The issue of delayed discharge was discussed and it was agreed that this could be considered at the September 2021 Panel meeting if pertinent lines of enquiry could be identified. It was agreed that Cllr Demir, Helena Kania and Dominic O’Brien would liaise on this topic and report back to the Chair. (ACTION)
It was also intended that another report on locality working would be provided to the November 2021 meeting of the Panel and it was hoped that visits to key sites in the borough relating to this work could be organised in prior to this meeting.
Cllr Connor noted that the Panel had been advised earlier in the meeting that further details on the Council response to the JPB’s Living Through Lockdown report would likely be available in December 2021. However, the Panel would be focused on the budget at that time and after that the next scheduled Panel meeting was not until March 2022. It was agreed that it would be preferable for this report to be received at the November 2021 Panel meeting it that were possible. (ACTION)
It was agreed that updates on Violence Against Women & Girls, Integrated Care Systems and CQC inspections should be scheduled for the March 2022 Panel meeting. (ACTION)
Dates of Future Meetings
· 9th September 2021
· 15th November 2021
· 16th December 2021
· 3rd March 2022