Agenda and draft minutes

Planning Sub Committee
Thursday, 17th March, 2022 7.00 pm

Venue: Tottenham Town Hall, Town Hall Approach Road, London, N15 4RY

Contact: Fiona Rae, Acting Committees Manager  3541, Email: fiona.rae@haringey.gov.uk

Note: To watch this meeting, use the link on the agenda frontsheet or copy and paste the following link into your internet browser: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_ODkzNDI4OTktZjcxNy00MzM5LWFjYzgtYTA5ZWEyY2E1NzAx%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%226ddfa760-8cd5-44a8-8e48-d8ca487731c3%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22515ca3a4-dc98-4c16-9d83-85d643583e43%22%7d 

Items
No. Item

1.

FILMING AT MEETINGS

Please note this meeting may be filmed or recorded by the Council for live or subsequent broadcast via the Council’s internet site or by anyone attending the meeting using any communication method.  Although we ask members of the public recording, filming or reporting on the meeting not to include the public seating areas, members of the public attending the meeting should be aware that we cannot guarantee that they will not be filmed or recorded by others attending the meeting.  Members of the public participating in the meeting (e.g. making deputations, asking questions, making oral protests) should be aware that they are likely to be filmed, recorded or reported on.  By entering the meeting room and using the public seating area, you are consenting to being filmed and to the possible use of those images and sound recordings.

 

The Chair of the meeting has the discretion to terminate or suspend filming or recording, if in his or her opinion continuation of the filming, recording or reporting would disrupt or prejudice the proceedings, infringe the rights of any individual, or may lead to the breach of a legal obligation by the Council.

Minutes:

The Chair referred to the notice of filming at meetings and this information was noted.

2.

PLANNING PROTOCOL

The Planning Committee abides by the Council’s Planning Protocol 2017.  A factsheet covering some of the key points within the protocol as well as some of the context for Haringey’s planning process is provided alongside the agenda pack available to the public at each meeting as well as on the Haringey Planning Committee webpage.

 

The planning system manages the use and development of land and buildings.  The overall aim of the system is to ensure a balance between enabling development to take place and conserving and protecting the environment and local amenities.  Planning can also help tackle climate change and overall seeks to create better public places for people to live, work and play.  It is important that the public understand that the committee makes planning decisions in this context.  These decisions are rarely simple and often involve balancing competing priorities.  Councillors and officers have a duty to ensure that the public are consulted, involved and where possible, understand the decisions being made.

 

Neither the number of objectors or supporters nor the extent of their opposition or support are of themselves material planning considerations.

 

The Planning Committee is held as a meeting in public and not a public meeting.  The right to speak from the floor is agreed beforehand in consultation with officers and the Chair.  Any interruptions from the public may mean that the Chamber needs to be cleared.

Minutes:

The Chair referred to the planning protocol and this information was noted.

3.

APOLOGIES

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Peter Mitchell. Councillor Barbara Blake was in attendance as substitute.

4.

URGENT BUSINESS

The Chair will consider the admission of any late items of urgent business. Late items will be considered under the agenda item where they appear. New items will be dealt with at item 10 below.

Minutes:

The Chair noted that there were no new items of urgent business but that there was a late appendix and late information in relation to Item 7, HGY/2021/3175 – High Road West, N17. Under s100B(4)(b) of the Local Government Act 1972, the Chair was of the opinion that these should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency by reason of special circumstances. These circumstances are so that the additional information could be considered by the Planning Sub Committee at its meeting on 17 March 2022.

5.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

A member with a disclosable pecuniary interest or a prejudicial interest in a matter who attends a meeting of the authority at which the matter is considered:

 

(i) must disclose the interest at the start of the meeting or when the interest becomes apparent, and

(ii) may not participate in any discussion or vote on the matter and must withdraw from the meeting room.

 

A member who discloses at a meeting a disclosable pecuniary interest which is not registered in the Register of Members’ Interests or the subject of a pending notification must notify the Monitoring Officer of the interest within 28 days of the disclosure.

 

Disclosable pecuniary interests, personal interests and prejudicial interests are defined at Paragraphs 5-7 and Appendix A of the Members’ Code of Conduct

Minutes:

Cllr Peacock noted that she did not consider that she had any interests to declare but, given some recent correspondence that had been received, she stated that she would like to place on record that she would be considering the planning decisions at the meeting with an open mind and had taken into account all relevant, material planning considerations.

 

Cllr Ibrahim noted that she did not consider that she had any interests which would disqualify her from voting but, given some recent correspondence that had been received, she stated that she would like to place on record that she would be considering the planning decisions at the meeting with an open mind and had taken into account all relevant, material planning considerations. As one of the objectors for Item 7, HGY/2021/3175 – High Road West, N17, was Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, Cllr Ibrahim also noted that she was an Arsenal supporter and a member of AISA (Arsenal Independent Supporters’ Association). She stated that she would take part in the discussion and voting and would be considering the item with an open mind.

6.

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

In accordance with the Sub Committee’s protocol for hearing representations; when the recommendation is to grant planning permission, two objectors may be given up to 6 minutes (divided between them) to make representations. Where the recommendation is to refuse planning permission, the applicant and supporters will be allowed to address the Committee. For items considered previously by the Committee and deferred, where the recommendation is to grant permission, one objector may be given up to 3 minutes to make representations.

Minutes:

The Chair referred to the note on planning applications and this information was noted.

7.

HGY/2021/3175 - HIGH ROAD WEST, N17 pdf icon PDF 2 MB

Proposal: Hybrid Planning application seeking permission for:

 

1)    Outline component comprising demolition of existing buildings and creation of new mixed-use development including residential (Use Class C3), commercial, business & service (Use Class E), leisure (Use Class E), community uses (Use Class F1/F2), and Sui Generis uses together with creation of new public square, park & associated access, parking, and public realm works with matters of layout, scale, appearance, landscaping, and access within the site reserved for subsequent approval; and

 

2)    Detailed component comprising Plot A including demolition of existing buildings and creation of new residential floorspace (Use Class C3) together with landscaping, parking, and other associated works.

 

Recommendation: GRANT

 

Conditions to follow.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair noted that a number of late objections and late information had been received in relation to this application and was set out in the Addendum to the report which had been published online and was available at the meeting.

 

The Assistant Director of Planning, Building Standards & Sustainability noted that there was a significant quantity of late information and it had not been possible to consider all of the information in advance of the meeting. It was explained that the Council had obtained legal advice regarding the late objections. Officers had been advised that there was a need to ensure the Council addressed the points raised in the late objections and that the Committee had time to give proper consideration to those points and officer advice before taking its decision regarding this agenda item. It was added that it was an important principle that objections received by the Council were given proper consideration as part of the decision making process to ensure fairness, which was not possible with the number of late objections and late information. As a result, it was highlighted that the officer recommendation was amended to recommend that the decision was deferred to allow full consideration of the late information.

 

The Chair noted that, due to these exceptional circumstances, she would like to propose that consideration of the application was deferred to June 2022 so that there could be proper consideration of the late and new information submitted in relation to the application. The motion was seconded by Cllr Barbara Blake.

 

Cllr Cawley-Harrison enquired whether a deferral would be necessary and expressed concern that a deferral in these circumstances would create a precedent for future applications. It was explained that officers were now recommending deferral as they wanted to ensure that they could fully address the late applications and that the Committee had all the information required to make a fully informed decision. The Chair added that this was an exceptional situation and that it would not be commonplace for items to be deferred solely where there was late information.

 

With 9 votes for, 0 votes against, and 2 abstentions, it was

 

RESOLVED

 

To defer the application to June 2022 so that there could be proper consideration of the late and new information submitted in relation to the application.

 

At 7.10pm, the Committee agreed a brief adjournment to allow attendees to leave if they wished. The meeting resumed at 7.20pm.

8.

PRE-APPLICATION BRIEFINGS

The following items are pre-application presentations to the Planning Sub-Committee and discussion of proposals.

 

Notwithstanding that this is a formal meeting of the Sub-Committee, no decision will be taken on the following items and any subsequent applications will be the subject of a report to a future meeting of the Sub-Committee in accordance with standard procedures.

 

The provisions of the Localism Act 2011 specifically provide that a Councillor should not be regarded as having a closed mind simply because they previously did or said something that, directly or indirectly, indicated what view they might take in relation to any particular matter.  Pre-application briefings provide the opportunity for Members to raise queries and identify any concerns about proposals.

 

The Members’ Code of Conduct and the Planning Protocol 2016 continue to apply for pre-application meeting proposals even though Members will not be exercising the statutory function of determining an application.  Members should nevertheless ensure that they are not seen to pre-determine or close their mind to any such proposal otherwise they will be precluded from participating in determining the application or leave any decision in which they have subsequently participated open to challenge.

Minutes:

The Chair referred to the note on pre-application briefings and this information was noted.

9.

PPA/2020/0012 - TANGMERE AND NORTHOLT BLOCKS, STAPLEFORD NORTH BLOCK, ENTERPRISE CENTRE, MEDICAL CENTRE, FORMER MOSELLE SCHOOL AND SURROUNDING PUBLIC REALM AREAS, BROADWATER FARM ESTATE, TOTTENHAM, N17 pdf icon PDF 2 MB

Proposal: Redevelopment of part of the Broadwater Farm Estate including demolition of existing buildings and the erection of buildings of up to nine storeys in height to provide 294 new homes; improvements to the public realm; provision of replacement and new commercial and community space; new landscaping and play space; and provision of an Urban Design Framework for the wider Estate.

Minutes:

The Committee considered the pre-application briefing for the redevelopment of part of the Broadwater Farm Estate including demolition of existing buildings and the erection of buildings of up to nine storeys in height to provide 294 new homes; improvements to the public realm; provision of replacement and new commercial and community space; new landscaping and play space; and provision of an Urban Design Framework for the wider Estate.

 

The applicant team and officers responded to questions from the Committee:

·         Some members noted that the scheme was well designed but enquired about whether there had been a loss of green space. It was commented that the area had some existing areas with a significant amount of hardstanding and it was requested that the proposals did not add to this. The applicant team explained that there would be no loss of open space. It was noted that the design of the park had developed to include more greenery following comments from residents. It was highlighted that the existing site had a number of green spaces that were not well utilised and that the park was designed to be more functional.

·         In relation to the design and the connections between blocks, the applicant team noted that lessons had been learned from previous design features and that there would be Secured By Design considerations to minimise potential issues.

·         It was enquired whether it was possible to increase the number of family homes. The applicant team explained that the number of family homes had been maximised in the design process. It was highlighted that families did not want accommodation in high rise blocks and so there was a balance between density and maximising family homes. It was noted that the proposal provided good conditions for family homes with lower blocks and access to green space. It was added that there would be 35% family homes which was an increase compared to approximately 13% on existing estates.

·         It was enquired how the Nationally Described Space Standards, as referenced in paragraph 7.21 of the report, differed from the previous requirements. The Principal Urban Design Officer explained that nationally prescribed space standards had been introduced approximately four years’ ago. It was noted that these standards were slightly better than the previous standards, particularly on storage space.

·         It was queried how priority for the homes would operate, particularly for those who had been decanted from the site during building works. The applicant team explained that new homes would be allocated under the New Homes Moves Scheme which prioritised those from Tangmere and Northolt Blocks who had been decanted from the site. It was noted that the next level of priority would go to existing secure council tenants within 250 metres of the estate, then existing residents in the ward, then residents in neighbouring wards.

·         It was enquired how community cohesion would be ensured, particularly for those in the old and new blocks. The applicant team noted that there was a wider estate improvement programme which sought to improve the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

NEW ITEMS OF URGENT BUSINESS

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

11.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

To note the date of the next meeting as 6 June 2022 (provisional).

Minutes:

It was noted that the date of the next meeting was 6 June 2022 (provisional).