The Cabinet Member for House Building, Placemaking and Development considered the report which sought Cabinet’s approval, in light of consultation with local residents, to build five new homes on Council-owned land at Jansons Road, Tottenham Green: two one-bedroom flats, one two-bedroom flat, one three-bedroom flat and one three-bedroom wheelchair-accessible flat.
RESOLVED that the Cabinet Member:
1. Considers the responses to the consultation carried out on this proposed scheme in line with section 105 of the Housing Act 1985, as set out in paragraphs 6.5 to 6.9 of this report, and the wider community engagement set out in paragraphs 6.11 to 6.14.
2. Approves pursuant to Contract Standing Order 9.07.1(d) the award of contract toNFC Homes Limited to undertake the new build works to provide a total of five new homes at Jansons Road car park in the contract sum of £1,599,316 and to approve the client contingency sum set out in the Exempt report Appendix 2.
3. Approves the appropriation of the land at Jansons Road car park (edged red in the plans attached at Appendix 1) from housing purposes to planning purposes under Section 122 of the Local Government Act 1972 as it is no longer required for the purpose which it is currently held, and for the purpose of carrying out development as set out in part 6 of this report.
4. Approves the use of the Council’s powers under Section 203 of the Housing and Planning Act 2016 to override easements and other rights of neighbouring properties infringed upon by the Jansons Road development under planning ref: HGY/2021/0030.
5. Delegates to the Director of Housing, Regeneration and Planning, after consultation with the Director of Finance and the Cabinet Member for House-Building, Place-Making and Development, authority to make payments of compensation as a result of any infringement arising from the development and the recommendation 3.1.3, within the existing scheme of delegation.
6. Approves the appropriation of the land at Jansons Road car park (edged red in the plans attached at Appendix 1) from planning purposes back to housing purposes under Section 19 of the Housing Act 1985, after practical completion of the development.
Reasons for decisions
The land at Jansons Road was approved by Cabinet in July 2019 to be included in the Council’s housing delivery programme. The scheme developed and proposed for this land was subsequently granted planning consent and is ready to progress to construction. This report therefore marks the third, and final, Members’ decision to develop on these sites.
The direct appointment of NFC Homes Limited is in the Council's overall interest in terms of achieving best value for money and quality.
The appropriation of the sites for planning purposes is required as it will allow the Council to use the powers contained in Section 203 to override easements and other rights of neighbouring properties and will prevent injunctions that could delay or prevent the Council’s proposed development. Section 203 converts the right to seek an injunction into a right to compensation. The sites ... view the full minutes text for item 4